Face it, no matter how positive a person you are, 2020 has caused us all to have those times when we’re simply not in a great mood. After all, bad days happen.
However, that doesn’t mean you have to be victim to that mood. In fact, research has shown there are a variety of ways you can battle back and recapture your typically happy disposition.
So, if you’re having a bad day, try a few of the following ideas to help lighten your mood.
- Breathe: Conscious, deep breaths. Focus on inhaling joy and exhaling tension.
- Engage your senses: Spend time observing a beautiful flower – it’s color, aroma, and vitality can instill a sense of peace.
- Listen to the birds: Take a few minutes to focus on the sounds of nature around you.
- Read a positive affirmation: A poem, a verse, a meaningful note can help remind you that life is magical.
- Pay someone a compliment: Being kind to someone else redirects your mind from annoyances and helps you focus on positives.
- Smile: You might not feel in the mood but smiling can actually help you feel better and put you in a better frame of mind.
Five Minute Fixes:
- Listen to Music: Create a special playlist of your favorite good-mood music and use it as a mental get-away on a bad day.
- Create a gratitude list: Spend a few minutes writing down what you’re thankful for…no matter how large or small.
- Talk to a friend: Chatting with an upbeat friend can put your day back on track.
- Take a coffee break: Both the process of making and the pleasure of sipping can help you unwind and reflect on good memories.
- Practice Yoga: A few minutes of mindfulness yoga can help shift your energy to a more positive state.
- Laugh: Laughter is truly the best medicine. Five minutes of watching bloopers and comedy sketches can change your day.
Invest in Yourself:
- Exercise: Nothing gets you out of your own head like putting your body through a workout. It’s good for your soul, your mood, and your body.
- Enjoy a yummy lunch: Indulge yourself. Treat yourself to your favorite restaurant or make yourself your favorite mid-day recipe. Enjoy the experience and escape the world for an hour.
- Experience nature: Time spent outdoors in nature can do wonders for your mood. Stuck inside? Even looking out the window can give you a boost.
Our mood colors our world and shapes how we see ourselves and our environment. Consciously combating bad moods can help put us in a better place mentally and emotionally, playing a major role in our overall health.
Be happy and stay well.